Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Cast like a pearl

almost to the end of September already. i am ready for the rich heady season of October, with pumpkins on the front porch and the creeper blushing to a deep fire red before our eyes. the air carries a deeper chill at night, the cat and my husband both cuddle closer in the wee hours.
i have been writing more in recent weeks. a new song came in the last few days, a real hymn called "This Is My God". i want to sing it over and over, it has a flowing melody and a strong memorable chorus...but mostly it just hangs on and on in my head because it is the most impassioned love song i have produced in years, and it is a love song to my Creator, not to yet another emotionally unavailable person at the end of the bar. this is a change for me...some of my friends would scarcely recognize the person i am becoming these days. but it matters less and less. sometimes i am pierced by loneliness as i feel people steping back and falling away from me. but i am not at all surprised by it, only observant of the startling accuracy of it.
we prepare our house for market with small adjustments and flourishes: today i finished painting the dining room. the raw wall has been sealed in the basement and the faded drywall repainted. more painting remains, as well as gutters to be cleaned, a porch to be repaired. some raking and cleaning of our tiny excuse for a yard.
as we go about the tasks i arrange and re-arrange the furniture in my mind carefully. regarding the people i kove, "goodbye " is not part of my vocabulary. i prepare to strain the love and faith of the people in my life, possibly to the breaking point for some. it is something i apparently have to do. at times i am nearly overwhelmed with guilt and uncertainty over my pending action. it is not my intent to hurt anyone by leaving. but i have to leave. i have to experience something else, for a season at least. i have to find out if i can make some kind of a life of creating songs, once and for all. i have to know the answer to that question. as many answers as i have received from others over the course of my life, who have their own vested interests at heart...i have never formed an answer for myself, based on my own experience. i have to do that now. i will never have the opportunity again. this and this alone is my reason and motivation for going. i pray and hope fervently that i will be forgiven for this indulgence. i am not so worried about God forgiving me; He made me this way. i am confident that He is directing my course and that He wants me to try. the forgiveness i seek is from friends ...i know very well how it feels to think one has been abandoned. i am loathe to be the cause of those feelings in another.
but i am in the stringent process of learning how much control i really have over the feelings of others; about whose choice those feelings are. i am equipped only to manage my own emotions, no one else's. this too is strange new territory for me. i am ready and willing to learn it as God directs.

2 comments:

  1. Wowie. This I did not know but I am glad you are making the big move to singer/songwriter. No time like the present blah blah blah. I'm certain you'll do just fine. Enjoy the experiences and I hope you will continue blogging about it cuz I'm a nosey old dork who has always wanted to see you happy in your art and sharing with many many people.
    I'll shut up now. :)
    Ti

    ReplyDelete
  2. "it is not my intent to hurt anyone by leaving. but i have to leave. i have to experience" . . . More accurately, my love, you have to LIVE! It is your journey, and it's not healthy to apologize for the innate desire to THRIVE! This is the passion that brings us to the culmination of what our creator had in mind for our existence, isn't it?

    Your Whurlie

    ReplyDelete